Thursday, April 2, 2009

Seedlings


After 2.5 weeks, everything is showing some signs of life. The bibb lettuce sprouted right away, followed by the mescun, peas, mache, chard and finally the leeks. I'm surprised at how many seeds do not germinate. I think you have to plant about 4 seeds to get 1 good plant.


Temperatures have been between 35-60 in the sun room. I think the cold days may have inhibited the leeks from germinating.


So far all in costs are about $70 (4 bags spaghum moss, 5 bags composted manure, seeds, 1 pH meter, 1 roll clear plastic sheeting).


I'm hoping to use our very own compost for the rest of the soil amendment. The pH on the compost is reading between 6 and 6.5 which is ideal for most vegetables. I have no way to test the nutrient content, but I can only imagine there's some good nitrogen in there since we've been dumping in plenty of kitchen scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment